LP Magazine

JUL-AUG 2018

LP magazine publishes articles for loss prevention, asset protection, and retail professionals covering shrinkage, investigations, shoplifting, internal theft, fraud, technology, best practices, and career development.

Issue link: http://digital.lpportal.com/i/1004777

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 37 of 68

Learning Labs are twenty-five-minute dives into brand new anti-theft, fraud, violence, and error LP research. The groups go through the project, then discuss how they might use the results in their businesses. Also look for a brand new "Mad Scientist" gamification to bring together new concepts and fun. We're also featuring a new UF STRATEGY@Impact breakout led by Mike Scicchitano, PhD, for the most senior LP executives where they'll interact with three UF faculty and each other to brainstorm more strategic concepts for rapidly evolving retail enterprises. This program is made possible by UF, LP Magazine , the Loss Prevention Foundation, and LPRC. We hope to see you in Gainesville this fall to learn and build together with LP executives from sixty retail chains, seventy solution tech companies, and research scientists. Research in Action We're always working to make protective efforts work or work better. Evidence indicates offenders aren't deterred unless they notice, recognize, and respect countermeasures (See, Get, Fear). To further practical, persuasion science, the LPRC conducted a series of in-person offender interviews in a big-box store lab to understand the impact of deterrent signage. The signage in this small-scale exploratory study featured specific technological claims to measure offender perceptions and actions. The LPRC collected data from eight active shoplifting offenders while in a shopping setting. LPRC Senior Research Scientist Mike Giblin and team collected all data in September 2016 for offender interviews. In past research, offenders often cited a lack of a specific and credible threat as their reason for not being deterred. All stores have cameras, so a sign alerting them that they're being recorded doesn't present a new, specific, and credible threat to them. They know they've been successful with currently deployed technology in place, leading our research to focus on seemingly new advances in loss prevention technology and ways to prime or reinforce the presence and credibility of the treatments. Furthermore, we sought to study specific and commonly understood technological claims. In the current study, the team exposed offenders to signage marketing the presence of a DNA technology (stimuli) to preliminarily measure if this tactic might provide a new and more credible threat to would-be victimizers. Summary of Key Findings ■ A majority (75%) of offenders noticed the DNA claim before being prompted, citing it as the first aspect of the sign that drew their attention. ■ A larger majority (88%) understood that the claim was referring to DNA forensics for the purposes of solving crime. ■ All offenders (100%) who recognized the concept of DNA believed the claim to be related to human DNA, when in fact this technology works by adhering a traceable plant DNA to a suspect. ■ Most offenders (70%) believed the DNA claim to be true. ■ Finally, 75 percent of offenders were strongly deterred by the DNA claim signage, while the remaining 25 percent were somewhat deterred. This research brief is just part of one of several studies measuring how differing marketing methods and options affect offender perceptions, and it ties into larger randomized controlled trials conducted across test and control retail locations. ALL ITEMS OF PROPERTY ON THIS SITE ARE MARKED WITH A DNA FORENSIC CHEMICAL 37 LP MAGAZINE | JULY–AUGUST 2018 YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. You could save up to 80% on a faster, easier, more secure key system by 1-800-316-5397 | www.InstaKey.com How much you could save? Find out today. IF THIS IS HOW IT FEELS TO CHANGE YOUR LOCKS...

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of LP Magazine - JUL-AUG 2018